The Bulls stunned Leinster for a URC final spot

Posted on

The Vodacom Bulls beat Leinster in Dublin on Saturday night to eliminate the defending champions and advance to the Vodacom United Rugby Championship final.

The Bulls were tenacious and brave as the Pack took the game to Leinster and challenged them to live with their physical attacks. It proved to be a challenge the hosts could not meet head on as the Bulls forwards dominated the physical exchange and the back worked relentlessly to mop up the first winning record for the URC South African side in Ireland.

No. 8 Elrigh Louw was huge throughout, and locked Ruan Nortje and hooker Johan Grobbelaar as influences on the set and collision as Jake White cost a 27-26 win at RDS Arena. He now awaits the winner of his second semi-final, between the Stormers and Ulster in Cape Town on Saturday.

The Bulls drove 11 phases of pressure from the hosts in the first three minutes before the pressure hit and hook Dan Sheehan did well to strike a grubber kick at the back of the defense from flyhalf Ross Byrne, who added an extra.

Bulls flyhalf Chris Smith opened the visitors ’account with three points from the kick, and the South African thought he had tried his first through Canan Moodie after a constant power of running and picking and driving.

The 19-year-old five-pointer fullback was ruled out after a TMO referral, because he botched what should have been a touchdown regulation, but man-of-the-match Grobbelaar was not wrong when he barged through moments later.

At the start of the second quarter, Smith was on track to give the Bulls the lead for the first time in the game, and the visitors increased their advantage by converted a try four minutes later when captain Marcell Coetzee soared through the uprights.

The Irishman looked a bit surprised before center Robbie Henshaw showed a good sense of humor to open the Leinster tally with less than 10 minutes in the half.

Byrne scored well from a tee for the hosts to speed up the gap on the scoreboard to three points, but when it rained heavily, the South Africans kept Ireland at bay until the whistle blew half-time.

The Bulls gained ascendancy after a courtesy break from a penalty trial – referee Andrea Piardi penalizing Leinster for a rampant collapse, rolling a maul before sending captain James Ryan to a naughty chair.

Visitors absorbed the waves after attacking waves from Ireland but the dam wall finally broke when left winger Rory O’Loughlin crossed the corner with 10 minutes left. Johnny Sexton had joined from the bench, but the Irish flyhalf failed to add to what went on to become two decisive points.

Veteran pivot Morne Steyn then suffered a crucial penalty five minutes before full time, and substitute Bismarck du Plessis made a crucial turnover in the Bulls half as the injured attempt at Cian Healy proved too little, too late to dismiss him from Pretoria. famous win in the Irish capital.

ALSO: Stormers got a shock boost for the spring

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.